Calamares 1.1 out now
Jun 26, 2015
The Calamares team is proud to announce the immediate availability of Calamares 1.1.
Calamares is a distribution-independent system installer, with an advanced partitioning feature for both manual and automated partitioning operations. It is the first installer with an automated “Replace Partition” option, which makes it easy to reuse a partition over and over for distribution testing. Calamares is designed to be customizable by distribution maintainers without need for cumbersome patching, thanks to third party branding and external modules support.
After almost six months of intense development since the last major release, Calamares 1.1 is a product for end users. It has been carefully engineered and thoroughly tested over countless pre-release builds and three release candidates. Calamares 1.1 brings a multitude of major improvements over 1.0.
Screenshot courtesy of Anke Boersma from KaOS.
Highlights of this release include:
- An improved boot loader module with GRUB2 and systemd-boot support
- EFI support
- More robust partition detection and mounting/unmounting
- Swap partition support in automatic partitioning
- An improved Python modules API
- User experience improvements, including all new Welcome and Summary pages
- A greatly improved branding mechanism, with QML and translations support
- An all new diagnostics interface for system integrators
If you experience an issue with Calamares, please tell us all about it on the Calamares issue tracker.